Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vintage Kimono #1

Last weekend I drove down to the big city (aka Brisbane) and bought some AMAZING vintage Kimono.  I was like a kid in a candy shop!  There was quite a large selection to choose from so I started by selecting everything I like and moved them to one side of the display rack to go through again.  Hmmm, budget and sensory overload!  I didn't want to go over my budget so I was ruthless and only bought 5. (But I'm already planning my next trip!)

Here's the first one....it's a lovely pink textured silk in fantastic condition.  This is the front.


And the back....


I love the design and the crosshatching and the texture and the gold highlights.....


I then took a big breath and start unpicking....only took me three hours!  And look what I found accidentally left in the lining all those years ago.  I removed the pin and said a silent, heartfelt hello and thank you to the dressmaker who hand stitched this beautiful garment.


It's interesting to see how a Kimono is put together - long rectangular pieces folded and delicately hand stitched with a lot of patience I imagine.  Now I'll transform these vintage pieces into beautiful Kanzashi flowers.  I'll put up photos to show you once finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment